Dr. Hang Liu is an assistant professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering of University of Massachusetts Lowell. His research interests include exploiting emerging hardware — such as Graphics Processing Unit (GPU), Field-Programmable Gate Array (FPGA), high-end CPU and SSD — to build high-performance systems for graph computing, machine learning, computational omics, numerical simulation and cloud computing.
His representative publications appear in top tier conferences, such as, FAST ’17, SIGMOD ’16 and SC ’15. Particularly, his graph traversal systems are ranked highly in both Graph500 and Green Graph500 benchmarks, which measure the performance and energy efficiency of the most powerful supercomputers in the world.
Dr. Liu serves as a member of the program committees (PC) for several major conferences, i.e., IPDPS ’18, HPDC '18, ASPLOS ’18 (shadow PC) and Eurosys ’17 (shadow PC).
For students: If you are interested in doing research with me, we should talk (Hang_Liu@uml.edu)!
- [Scientific Reports] Network Analysis Reveals the Recognition Mechanism for Dimer Formation of Bulb-type Lectins [Source]
- [FAST '17] Graphene: Fine-Grained IO Management for Graph Computing [Source] [Slides]
- [SIGMOD '16] iBFS: Concurrent Breadth-First Search on GPUs [Source] [Slides] [Poster]
- [SC '15] Enterprise: Breadth-First Graph Traversal on GPUs [Source] [Slides] [Blog]
- [JCP '16]Computational Modeling of Cardiac Hemodynamics: Current Status and Future Outlook
- [BigData '14]Big Data Machine Learning and Graph Analytics: Current State and Future Challenges
- [DCC '14]Optimizing Job Reliability via Contention-Free, Distributed Scheduling of VM Checkpointing
- [Cluster '13]GPU-Accelerated Scalable Solver for Banded Linear Systems
- [SC '12]Matrix Decomposition Based Conjugate Gradient Solver for Poisson Equation (short paper)
- FAST '17 Travel Grant from USENIX
- Green Graph 500 (Big Data Category) Ranking No. 7 (No. 1 in USA) (June 2016)
- SIGMOD '16 Travel Grant from SIGMOD
- SC '15 Travel Grant from GWU
- Graph 500 Ranking No. 43 (June 2014)
- Green Graph 500 (Small Data Category) Ranking No. 1 (June 2014)
- IT Division of GWU (Strategic Initiative Intern: 9/2015 ~ 7/2017)
- NSF CISE CAREER Workshop (Volunteer, March/2015)
- NEC Labs America (Research Intern: 6/2014 ~ 8/2014)